Pencoed RFC | 1st Team 19 - 5 Caernarfon RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
24 December 2015 / Team News

Caernarfon MR

This Swalec Plate round 1 match at the Recreation ground was closely contested throughout.

With the strong wind at their backs the home side made most of the early running before opening the match scoring, a full round of passing from the threequarters saw centre Rhys Thomas find the supporting Tom Cross with a clever flick pass and the full back sent left wing David Young diving over in the corner. The Pencoed front row of Skipper Kieron Moore, hooker Tom Drew, and young loose head prop Brandon Nelson were putting the Caernarfon scrum under pressure, and were being ably supported by their second rows Dano Howells and Ricky Somers. A half break from centre Gareth Dyer almost brought a second try, the visitors scrambled defence doing exceptionally well to keep the home side out. Pencoed continued on the attack and following driving play from No 8 Gareth Prentice and Howells which took play to the Caernarfon line back row forward Aaron Halse was held up in the act of scoring. Halse was again soon in the action bursting into the visitors 22 and sustained pressure forced a hurried clearance from the visitors and Pencoed moved the ball swiftly to right wing Jack Picton who found the looping Thomas with a neat pass to go over in the corner, Marc Davies adding a superb conversion in the conditions from the touchline for the home side to lead 12-0 at the interval. The Pencoed support at this juncture could be forgiven for thinking was this tenuous lead going to be enough into a now fierce second half wind, the home faithful on tenterhooks with regard to progress into the second round of the competition.

Pencoed started the second half well however and a run from Picton put them on the attack before another dominant Pencoed scrum which included replacement prop forward Christian Powell shoved the visitors off their own ball. The visitors then began to use the elements and kicking for position were to enjoy their best period of the match threatening the Pencoed line for the first time before both sides picked up simultaneous yellow cards. With the offences taking place in the home 22 Caernarfon took immediate advantage, their sustained assault on the home line getting its reward with Captain Gwilym Jones driven over for a well deserved opening score for his side. Shortly after came a key moment in this pulsating tie, a sweeping attack from the visitors exposed the home defence down the left and with only a run in required down the  flank in the home 22, the turbulent conditions got hold of the final pass and the ball went to ground, the relief of the home support tangible. Caernarfon continued on the attack but with the clock ticking away pencoed could now sense a place in the second round and their defensive effort against sustained pressure from the North Wales side eventually gave them the opportunity to break away and seal the match, a well placed kick from Rhys Clark to the visitors line resulted in desperate defence and the chasing Cross being held back, match official Matthew J. Thomas having no hesitation in awarding a penalty try, Davies adding the extras. To their immense credit Caernarfon despite the match scoreline of 19-5 going into the final minutes continued to  pound the home line with outside half Davies doing extremely well to check and hold up the opposition only a metre out allowing his side to regroup and win the turnover to repel the visitors final attack. Match Sponsors INVACARE awarding the Pencoed Man of the Match to centre Rhys Thomas.

On Saturday Pencoed host visitors Builth Wells in Division 1 West Central at the Recreation Ground, Kick-Off time to be confirmed.


Match Report : T.R.

Match Photo's by Julie Hancock.


There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos